Sliver Moon

A slice of moon hangs over the night.
A sliver of golden yellow against a cobalt sky.
Its crescent shape,

corners turned upward, toward Heaven, resembles a smile.
On a cold winter eve, this shard of light guides me, brightens my journey,

leads the way home.

by Lina Rehal

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Cosmetics Anonymous

Okay, so here's an example of a Rehal World story. I bought a new lipstick today. Elizabeth Grady - Rasberry. I seem to have this thing for lipsticks. I'm always on the hunt for the perfect color. I gave up trying to find one that stays on. I know better than that. Here is what baffles me.

Women spend millions of dollars a year on health and beauty aids. We buy foot scrubs, body rubs, facial peels, sunscreens and bath products. Our bathroom closets and vanities are full of shampoos, conditioners, hairsprays, scented soaps, bath oils, ointments and nail polishes. Is there anything more relaxing than a good long soak in a tub full of foaming bubbles?

The answer to that might be a day of beauty at a local spa where we could get a full body massage, a facial, manicure, pedicure, waxing and purchase a jar of their latest age-defying miracle cream that is guaranteed to make wrinkles vanish overnight.

In my medicine cabinet, I have a variety of lipsticks with matching liners, several glosses, powder blushes, cleansing milk, skin toner, my favorite moisturizer, foundations, eye shadows, make-up brushes, perfumes, body lotions, hand creams, mouthwash, dental floss, one hydrating mask, an electric toothbrush, cold remedies and a jar of Noxema.

With all these amazing products that promise to keep me young and vibrant, I should look gorgeous, feel soft, smell awesome and be wrinkle free. So why do I have fine lines at the corners of my eyes, hair growing where I don’t want it and dry skin? Why do I call it a medicine cabinet when the only thing in it that comes close to being classified as medicinal is a jar of Vicks Vapo Rub? I should call it my cosmetic cabinet. That would make more sense.

Women aren’t the only ones who indulge in such items. Inside my husband’s “medicine” cabinet I found shaving cream, after shave lotion, several colognes, deodorant, shampoo, hairspray, ear drops, sunblock, foot powder, ointment, bandages, Q-tips, Robitussin and my Susan Lucci skin care system. The vanity drawers are overflowing with items we both use such as toothpaste, toothbrushes, disposable razor blades, soaps, combs and brushes.

Medicines should not be kept in the bathroom. They should be stored in a cool dry place out of the reach of children, as stated on the bottles. I keep my medications in the kitchen. There isn’t any room in my medicine cabinet.

6 comments:

Savi said...

Lina what a cute article. It is all so true. We need the tiniest medicine cabinet but the biggest drawers, containers, and counters to just hold all of our cosmetics. It really should be called our cosmetics cabinet.
We also keep our meds either in the kitchen or our bedrooms. Who would think to keep them in the medicine cabinet.
I love the blog. Congratulations with it. One that is needed just to talk about whatever is on your mind.
Love the pictures also. I'll keep coming back to see what you've posted.
Cindy (Sandpiper)

Anonymous said...

It sounds like my medicine cabinet, which I have located in my kitchen. My medicine cabinet is full of the same items you talked about in your blog. I'm willing to go so far as to wonder if anyone uses their medicine cabinet for medicine.

Chatty Lady said...

The rose is so beautiful, I love pink roses...Now about makeup! I found many years ago that the best thing, something all the models are aware of, is a product easily obtained and very inexpensive. Its name is: VASELINE, yep thats it. A jar can keep lips, hands. elbows, feet and hands extremely soft and smooth like a babies... Plus it's waterproof, so great when in the pool. Its good for summer and for winter. Try it! You'll like it!
Charleen/Chatty/EDITOR

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful blog, Louisa.
Anno, BWS

Anonymous said...

Naturally, I purchased storage bin for under the sink because there is no medicine cabinet. Now you can find cleaning products and paper goods instead of cosmetics and medicine.

My daughter in law sells Mary Kay cosmetics and naturally being a good mother-in-law purchased a full set of products. Am I using them? No.

Boy a Day Spa with full body attention sounds great. If I could have enough clients to pay for it, this would be a weekly visit. Thank you for reminding me about the things that give me a good tingle inside.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!