Sliver Moon

A slice of moon hangs over the night.
A sliver of golden yellow against a cobalt sky.
Its crescent shape,

corners turned upward, toward Heaven, resembles a smile.
On a cold winter eve, this shard of light guides me, brightens my journey,

leads the way home.

by Lina Rehal

Sunday, November 25, 2007

A Safe Place

I know I'm not the only one who puts things away in "a safe place." Whenever I can't find something, my daughter tells me, "It's in a safe place." My husband says the same thing. They know me. Well, I've outdone myself this time. I started taking out the Christmas decorations yesterday and it seems I've lost the 5 main buildings of my village. Dick said, "You lost a whole village?" Well, not the whole village exactly. I can't find the church, theater, emporium, bake shop and hotel. I only use the 5 main pieces to this lovely village I bought at Costco a long time ago. It's all that fits on the bookcase. Last year, I bought a big piece and added it on a small extension I made. I found that one. (But, I thought I bought more than one?) I know I squished the 5 buildings into a big plastic storage bag and tucked it away so it would be "safe." But, where? I did find some people and trees and various small pieces. We live in a small condo. I don't have the room I used to and I like having the village, but just a small one now. I haven't got the time or energy to build a big city every year anymore. I'm happy with a small town. If it doesn't turn up in today's search, I will use the one building and cut it down to a vignette. We live in less than 1,000 square feet and don't have much storage space. How could I lose a small town?

No comments: